Planning Applications Guide

Different Types of Planning Applications

Building Regulations are a set of minimum standards for the design and construction of buildings. This is to ensure the safety, health and welfare of people who use and go around those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and that facilities are provided for people with disabilities. Before you start any building work you need to check if you need building regulations approval. As the owner of a building you are held responsible.

Permitted Development

You can carry out certain types of building work on your home or property without needing to apply for planning permission. This is called using your “Permitted Development Rights”. Generally, permitted development covers minor extensions, demolition and certain changes of use, such as a loft, garage or cellar conversions. Most houses have permitted development (PD) rights, however flats and maisonettes do not, so you would need to apply for full planning permission. PD rights are also reduced in conservation arears, national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty.

If you are uncertain that the plans you’re proposing is under permitted development rights, you can get an informal, written opinion from Manchester City Council. The council will research information about your property and understand exactly what work is being carried out before they advise you whether you need planning permission. They will also give very general advice over the telephone. As part of our services we can prepare and submit a permitted development enquiry on your behalf. If the outcome is that you do require planning permission, then we can prepare the planning drawings and submit a full planning application.

Buildings Regulations Drawings and Submission

Larger applications

Pre-application – Preparing to carry out a development can be expensive. To help you minimize the cost of this process, we provide a pre-application service. Pre-application advice is provided by planning officers employed by the council, which outlines how we are likely to determine any subsequent planning application, and any changes that are likely to be needed, if any, to give your scheme the best chance of being granted a planning permission. We will design basic planning drawings to be submitted as part of the application. The guidance given is informal advice and does not bind the council in any future decision it makes.  However, in our experience where pre-application advice is obtained and incorporated into any scheme, developments are more likely to secure planning permission and decisions are made significantly faster.

House Holder Planning Consent – Proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary or garden. This application is for projects such as home extensions, loft conversions, garage conversions, dormer windows, garages, carports and outbuildings that don’t fall within permitted development.

Other Types of Planning Application

Outline Planning – This application can be used to find out whether a proposed development is acceptable to the local planning authority, before substantial costs are incurred developing a detailed design. Planning permission is often applied for first, to establish whether the proposed new dwelling or development would be acceptable to the local planning authority. If planning permission is approved, a detailed proposal with planning drawings is then put forward.

Change of Use – In order to change the use of a business premises, the property owner or business operator is often required to obtain planning permission.

Do you have a project?

Speak to our friendly team today